Friday 13 July 2012

Brighton, I want my money back.


*KLAXON* RANT ALERT

I'm furious. Forty days and forty nights of soul-destroying rain does not make Dolly a happy girl.
In fact, I would even go as far and say that I feel cheated. I expected more of you, Brighton. You've broken your promise of a golden summer and in turn shattered my seaside dreams. Okay, so a bit dramatic, but still, lay off the rain for a moment will you? It's my first summer as a Brighton resident and I'm rapidly losing my sense of humour.
Last year, on my weekly pilgrimage to the estate agents of this town, the sun shined like a beacon enticing me in with its embracing heat and sunniness. The streets were bathed in a golden glow and happy folk in flip-flops and maxi dresses swanned their way to the beach without a care in the world.
With this picture in mind, I informed Mr Dolly that we're not going on holiday this year and instead we shall stay and enjoy the fruits of our new home. I carried on my staycation charade with my London pals, 'go away?' I sniffily retorted. 'I LIVE on holiday. I'm spending the summer on Brighton beach, my friend.' in a revoltingly smug fashion. Oh how I laughed when I read their status updates from Thailand whilst nursing my trenchfoot. 
Despite my love for Brighton, I have to admit there are few places that look more dismal in the rain than a seaside resort. All I can say is thank goodness for Lucky Voice on Black Lion Street, a padded haven of karaokeness where even the vilest of weather can't penetrate. Add nine pina coladas and Scouser named Dave and it could almost be Magaluf '94.

2 comments:

  1. oh dear Dolly! Yes it has been a cruddy summer so far. No, it's not normally like this. On behalf of Brighton I apologise. And give you some suggestions for things to do in Brighton when it's raining:

    1. Booth Museum - Terrifying natural history stuffed animal collection. If I really want to frighten the kids I threaten to take them here.
    2. Toy Museum - The one in Trafalgar St under the station. It's a really quaint & sweet place, plus if you're good they'll let you push a button & set the trains off.
    3. Sea Life Centre - Just been refurbished, great turtles. We reviewed it here: http://eljae.com/2012/06/30/turtle-time/
    4. Stay in your house. It's probably a lot better than the one you were in before, or you wouldn't have moved.

    Hope this helps!

    j

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant ideas, Ms Mallon. Thank you. I am definitely going to take the beasts to the Booth Museum. Probably as a punishment, but still. And I went past the Toy Museum last week, I never knew it was there, so that's another day trip. I loved the Sealife Centre (I used to be Sammy the Seal many years ago) we went last month and they all really enjoyed it. You forgot the pub though, I do love a pub in the rain. Brilliant stuff, you are a star. x

      Delete